Transforming Together: Authentic Spiritual Mentoring

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Family: Who are they?

You're born into a group of people called family.
Life passes as you "grow up" with this group of people.
Then, a different moment for each of us, we leave that group of people.
Sometimes we see them often after that; more than not, we "move on" from them.

I've thought a lot about "family."
It is something we're told to value; to honor, to respect; to treasure and cherish.
But do we?

As always I take my cues on life issues from the Living Word.  I was particularly intrigued by Jesus and his relationship with His earthly family.  One scenario in particular comes to mind:
It's found in Matthew 12:46-50
"Jesus was speaking to the crowds. His mother and brothers stood outside, asking to speak to Him. Someone told Jesus, "Your mother and your brothers are outside, and they want to speak to you." Jesus asked, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?" Then He pointed to His disciples and said, "Look, these are my mother and brothers. anyone who does the will of My Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!"

Okay, let's break that down for us today:
1. Jesus was speaking, was ministering, was with crowds of people.
2. Where were His mother and brothers? OUTSIDE!
3. They wanted Him to LEAVE WHAT HE WAS DOING TO GO TO THEM.
4. Jesus' response? NO! My family is ANYONE WHO DOES THE WILL OF MY FATHER!

HUGE TRUTH here folks!  Do we see it?

It's great to be involved in your earthly family DEPENDING ON WHAT GOD HAS ASKED OF YOU and WHERE THEY ARE IN RELATION TO THAT!!!  Jesus made it very clear in Matthew 12 that He was going to remain right where He was.  He would not leave and go "outside" to be with them.  THEY were invited INSIDE to be with HIM!!

Now, I'm not sure how you are going to apply this to your family situation, the family in which you were born. I'm not sure how I'm to apply this to my situation either.  The point is, to know the Living Word, to see Jesus' example and then to apply that to your life.  Truth is not a means in and of itself.  The Living Word says that "you will know the truth AND the truth WILL SET YOU FREE!"

May we be free in Him in EVERY aspect of life, of living.....

In His Family,

Ele

(If you are interested in having me join you and your group for a Spiritual Retreat please feel free to contact me via this blog.  I will respond.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home