Transforming Together: Authentic Spiritual Mentoring

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Temptation

We've all know what it feels like to be tempted....

To want something we know we shouldn't want.

We also know what it means to tempt....

To try to get someone to do wrong, especially by a promise of reward.

The Living Word tells that that "great sorrow" awaits those who tempt.

We certainly can agree with that!  Why, if something tries to get another to do wrong,

especially by a promise of reward, they OUGHT to have "great sorrow" waiting for them!!

However, read on.  Remember, the Living Word ALWAYS tells the truth, right?

Jesus goes on to teach that the MAIN SOURCE of temptation, of trying to get you to

do something wrong, is YOURSELF!!

What?

YES!!

Jesus warns us that WE are OUR OWN MAIN SOURCE of temptation!

 So, is it time to take a hard look at "me?" How am I tempting myself?

The Living Word states that we tempt ourselves through three main avenues:

Our hands, our feet and our eyes.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Now, the question is: What am I going to do about it?

Looks like I have to make a choice between "great sorrow" and "cutting myself off"

at how I try to get myself to do wrong, by promising myself a reward!!

The application is clear, isn't it?  How am I tempting myself through

                     what I do.....where I go.....what I look at....

and then, what am I going to do about it?

"Great sorrow"  or "freedom from myself?"

Choosing freedom,

Ele


Matthew 18:7-9

(If you would like to communicate with me regarding speaking please do so at ele@finishers.org)

3 Comments:

Blogger GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Hands ~ feet ~ eyes . . . interesting thoughts. I've got to think about this one.

February 15, 2010 at 1:27 AM  
Blogger Transforming Together said...

Please do, especially in light of Matthew 18:7-9. Thanks for thinking w me, Glenda!!

February 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ele. I just found your blog via Linda blog. Yes...like you I choose freedom...and that means for me picking my cross daily and living my life by faith and not by sight.

Blessings.

Gladwell

March 3, 2010 at 4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home